Crazy for Coconut Water
When did we get so nutty about this stuff? In case you’re curious, but cautious about this miracle drink dubbed “Mother Nature’s sports drink” here’s the skinny. For starters it’s low in calories, naturally fat and cholesterol free, has more potassium than four bananas, and is super hydrating. But, that’s not where it ends. It heals a hearty hangover and helps to ward off cancer and kidney stones.
But, we ask, what is Coconut Water? Really.
This what we learned: Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts. It is naturally refreshing, with a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of natural sugar and electrolytes. It is less sweet than sports and fruit drinks and tastes good.
All good so far, but what do we do with it? Thought you’d ask that so we found a few ideas from, yes… Martha Stewart. Here are 4 of them:
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango, papaya, pineapple, or kiwi
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Combine fruit, coconut water, and agave nectar in a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to Popsicle molds; freeze.
- Coconut water
- Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Replace tap water with the same amount of coconut water and cook rice as directed.
- Stir in a handful of toasted unsweetened coconut flakes. Serve warm.
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup coconut water
- Puree strawberries and coconut water in a blender until smooth.
4. Vodka Cocktail
(Do I sound like a lush if I mention that I saved my personal favorite for last? It is Friday after all! And – since Coconut water helps cure a hangover then technically there should be no sign of one at all! Yes!)
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 6 ounces coconut water
- Orange twist, for garnish
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Add vodka and coconut water; stir to combine.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
It’s hot out there people. Quench with Coconut Water and enjoy an absolutely wonderful summer weekend!