~ I absolutely LOVE June! And many of my favorite reasons can be found on Saturday morning strolling by the stands of our Farmers Market. The strawberries, asparagus, honey, breads, spinach…. just gorgeous and waiting to be included in something scrumptious. Here’s a delicious recipe with Farmers Market finds you can enjoy and serve for a lovely summer lunch this weekend.
If you make it to your Farmers Market be on the look out for spinach, tomatoes, crunchy wheat flatbread and creamy garlic-and-herb goat cheese.
You can also find these or variations at Bay Area stores including: Whole Foods, Trader Joes and the recently opened New Leaf in Pleasanton.
- 4 whole wheat flat bread (naan)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 6 ounces garlic and herb flavored goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 6 ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pizza seasoning (optional)
- Brush both sides of flat breads lightly with some of the oil. For a charcoal grill, place the flat breads on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 2 minutes or until golden. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add flat breads to grill rack. Cover and grill as above.) Remove from heat.
- Top the grilled side of each flat bread with spinach, cheese, artichoke hearts, and tomato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return to grill rack and grill about 2 minutes more until bottoms are browned and toppings are heated through. Top with pizza seasoning. Makes 4 servings.